Posts Tagged ‘Media coverage’
A photograph of Jens Stoltenberg embracing the Labor Youth Organization (AUF) leader, Eskil Pedersen, at Sundvolden Hotel shortly after the Utøya attack has won the annual Photo of The Year award arranged by the Norwegian Press Photographers Club. The photo was taken by freelance photographer, Tommy Ellingsen, working for Stavanger Aftenblad. In the background of the photo, a police bodyguard can be seen as well as former Justice Minister, Knut Storberget.
“The picture has the strength that we, as a jury, get a lump in our stomach when we see it several months after the terror acts on July 22, 2011. We do not see the terror, we do not see the destruction, but we see the sorrow and anger it leaves behind,” the jury wrote in its decision.
A video of Anders Behring Breivik and police on Utøya during a police reconstruction of the terror attacks won the award for the best news video of the year. The video was a collaborative effort of several photographers working for Verdens Gang (VG): Mathias Jørgensen, Gisle Oddstad, Jarle Brenna, Helge Mikalsen, Espen Braata, Trond Solberg and Mattis Sandblad.
The Press Photographers Club gave this years “nice boy” award to Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg. The award is given to public figures who have shown great ability to collaborate well with the press.
LITERATURE HOUSE (AP) – Shots of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg embracing AUF leader of the terrorist attack on Utøya has been named this year’s image.
It is July 23, the day after Norway has changed forever. Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg embrace AUF leader Eskil Pedersen Sundvolden hotel. He hugs his young colleague, facial expression is clenched.
To the left stands a guard, ready. In the background a glimpse former Justice Minister Knut Storberget.
“I remember very well that I met Eskil Pedersen, I gave him a hug, and that it was painful. Painful to see him hurt to see all the others, and especially painful to see all those who had received news that one of their closest had lost their lives,” says Jens Stoltenberg told AP about the moment that was captured and the Year image….
Original article: Stoltenberg om årets bilde: “Jeg husker at det var vondt å se Eskil”
Related website: Fotojournalisten (publication of Pressefotografenes Klubb)
Norwegian Newspaper, Vårt Land, reports that, according to a letter sent out from the Norwegian Editors Association (Norsk Redaktørforening) to its members, city streets surrounding the Oslo District Court (Tingrett) in downtown Oslo will be blocked off to traffic during the trial against Anders Behring Breivik.
The association informed its members that the reason for this arrangement is to make space for broadcasting buses from international television stations.
The Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) has previously stated that they are concerned about threats and violence in relation to the trial.
140 newsrooms have so far expressed their interest to follow the trial of Behring Anders Breivik.
The streets around the Oslo Courthouse will be closed to make room for the buses from international TV stations that will transfer directly from the terrorism trial.
140 newsrooms have so far expressed their interest to follow the trial of Anders Behring Breivik in Oslo District Court. The case starts 16 April and is expected to last for ten weeks.
85 of editors are foreign – 55 are Norwegian. From the many TV stations that have expressed interest, there are reports that some 20 media buses will come….
Original article: Stenger gater i Oslo under terrorrettssaken
The Norwegian newspaper, Verdens Gang (VG), writes that the journalist wishing to interview Anders Behring Breivik has been denied access to Ila Prison.
Acting prison director, Gøran Nilsson, recently told journalisten.no that Ila Prison was awaiting clearance from the Justice Department before the prison would give the journalist in question acccess to interview Breivik. According to Nilsson, if the Justice Department were to clear the journalist, the interview would, nevertheless, be conducted through a glass wall with prison guards present.
Police lawyer, Pål-Fredrik Hjort Kraby, now says to VG that there are “problematic conditions” surrounding the journalist. Hjort Kraby refuses to be specific about what is meant by “problematic conditions.”
Hjort Kraby confirms to VG that the journalist in question is from a foreign television station that Norwegian media recently reported was in the process of arranging an interview with Breivik. Norway’s TV2 writes that, according to several of their sources, the media company that Breivik had entered into agreement with was the renowned British broadcaster, the BBC.
According to the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK), the BBC is producing a documentary about the 7/22 attacks. Producer, Anne Leer, and photographer, Edward Watts, have been in Norway for three weeks talking to victims of the attacks, and will continue to record material for the program into mid-February. In addition, the BBC has applied for accreditation for the trial.
Breivik’s lawyer, Geir Lippestad, said to Fædrelandsvennen that what is important to note is that it is not the television station that has been denied access, but only a specific journalist. He also said that since Breivik has no preferences for a particular journalist, he assumes that Breivik has not changed opinion regarding which channel he wishes to be interviewd by. Speaking to NRK after having met with Breivik, Lippestad confirms that what is important to Breivik is which media company conducts the interview, and that Breivik simply wishes that the TV channel submit a new request from another journalist.
The Justice Department was, itself, a victim of the 7/22 attacks. Four Justice Department staff members were killed, three in the governmental offices and one attending the Labor Youth Organization (AUF) camp at Utøya.
Former Justice Minister, Knut Storberget (Labor), was controversial due to his attempts to ban blasphemy and introduce hijab into the Norwegian police force. A phone threat was reportedly made to the Justice Department in March 2011, and the Justice Department offices were completely destroyed by the large explosion on 7/22. Knut Storberget stepped down in November 2011 following death threats from a group called The Organization for a Free Norway (Organisasjonen Fritt Norge).
This week it was announced that Breivik will be interviewed by a foreign TV station. Now it is decided that the journalist does not escape into the prison….
Head of the Department of Justice, Gunnar Johansen, confirmed to AP that they have obtained information from abroad, and sent it to the prison. He would, however, refused to comment on what they found.
Original article: Nekter journalist å intervjue Breivik
Journalist awaits Breivik-clearance
Acting jail director Goran Nilsson says that they are awaiting clearance by a journalist before the person can get into the visiting room with Breivik. He does not want to tell the editor that the journalist represents, first because the person has not yet been cleared and it is therefore not secure the interview will take place.
Prison management has sent the request for further clearance to the Department of Justice.
If it comes to a consensus will be interviewed on the visiting room through a glass plate and two security guards present, as it is when defenders are visiting at Ila.
- It is mandatory and absolute as the situation is around the prisoner’s safety, but there may be changes on this later, says Nilsson.
Original article: Journalist venter på Breivik-klarering
Refusing a journalist to interview Breivik
“Problematic circumstances” that a person does not escape into the prison.
“The prison carries out control of all visitors to Breivik, including journalists. In connection with the assessment has found conditions that are problematic about the person,” said police attorney Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby to the AP.
Police Attorney Kraby will not elaborate on what is “problematic relationship”….
Original article: Nekter journalist å intervjue Breivik
Ila stop Breivik interview with TV reporter
Report does not meet Anders Breivik Behring at Ila Prison.
According to several sources such as TV 2 has talked with Anders Breivik Behring agreed to be interviewed by the BBC. But now Ila prison put an end to the interview. The current BBC reporter that the agreement was signed with, you will not be allowed to visit Breivik in prison….
Original article: Ila stopper Breivik-intervju med TV-reporter
Defense Geir Lippestad Friday will discuss with Anders Breivik Behring whether he will be interviewed by someone other than the journalist, the police have refused to meet him….
Also the question whether he will be interviewed by someone else after the authorities on Thursday refused to accept a female reporter from a foreign channel, will be discussed.
“What is important is that it is not the channel that he wanted to speak to, which is banned, only that particular journalist. Breivik have no preferences to specific journalists, so I do not anticipate that he has changed the perception of the channel he wants to be interviewed,” says Lippestad….
Original article: Drøfter anke, intervju og avhørsnekt med Breivik
The defender confirmed earlier this week that the terror suspect has agreed to an interview with foreign media, but Thursday it became known that the journalist who asked about the interview is not security cleared the prison, the Justice Ministry.
“We briefed him that the journalist was not security cleared. For him it does not play any role. He is only concerned with the medium, and would thus only that they send a new request from another journalist,” says Lippestad.
Original article: Breivik sier ja til fotografering i retten
The last court proceeding before the trial of Anders Behring Breivik begins is scheduled to take place on Monday, February 6th.
NRK reports that 163 journalists have requested accreditation, including twenty international media companies. Among those that will cover the proceeding are the following television stations: the BBC, Der Spiegel, ARD, Radio France and RNE. News agencies Reuters, AP, AFP and Bloomberg will also be covering the event. In addition, two Serbian media companies, the newspaper Politika and Radio Beograd, will be present.
Breivik has requested a ban on photography, but his lawyers say he wishes to address the court himself if permitted.
[T]here are 163 accredited journalists to prison meeting. Among them there are 20 foreign media, information officer, said Irene Ramm in the Oslo District Court said.
There are several large foreign media houses have signed up, including the British BBC, the German Der Spiegel and ARD, Radio France and Spain RNE. Several international news agencies like Reuters, AP, AFP and Bloomberg News will cover the imprisonment. Moreover, two Serbian media, newspaper Politiken and Radio Belgrade, also be present.
NTB reported last week that Breivik still refuses to be photographed in court….
Breivik will have the opportunity to present himself, but the judge may cancel if the defendant wishes to say something that is not relevant to the treatment of incarceration issue….
Original article: “Breivik vil holde tale under fengslingsmøtet”
Verdens Gang (VG) writes that Terje Tørrissen, one of the newly appointed court psychiatrists, has requested and been granted permission to attend the court proceeding. Anders Behring Breivik has declined to speak to the newly appointed psychiatrists; therefore, they have to try to find other arenas in which to observe him.
The expert sitting in the pews during incarceration meeting
One of the new psychiatrists to observe Anders Behring Breivik is present at Monday’s prison meeting….
When he gets the opportunity to observe the terror accused 32-year-old speaks and behaves. Breivik has said he refuses to talk to the new experts in the prison, and they need other venues where they can observe him….
Original article: Ny psykiater skal observere Breivik på mandag
Norwegian newspaper, Nordlys, writes that Ila prison is receiving assistance from the Justice Department to verify the identity of journalists from a foreign media company who are planning to conduct an interview with Anders Behring Breivik. It has not yet been made publicly known to which media company Breivik has granted an exclusive interview.
The paper also reports that, according to NRK, three foreign television stations are in the process of making documentaries about the 7/22 attacks: the BBC, National Geographic and The Discovery Channel.
Person charged with terrorist Anders Behring Breivik has agreed to be interviewed by a foreign media company before the trial starts.
Ila prison with help from the Ministry of Justice in its efforts to ensure journalists’ identity.
“Since it is a foreign medium, it is much more complicated to carry out this control work. We are therefore using the Ministry,” says assistant prison director at Ila Prison, Mr. Nilsson said.
According to NRK are talking about a TV company….
Original article: Ila sjekker journalister før Breivik-intervju
Related post: Breivik will give exclusive TV interview before trial
VG reports that Anders Behring Breivik has decided to give one exclusive interview to a major foreign television channel before the trial begins. According to VG, Breivik has already decided upon which TV station to grant the interview, but it is not known how far in the process this possible interview is.
“We are aware that we are not to be a center for journalists who want to talk to him, so we are not involved in it other than that we have given the accused a council: that it is not wise to speak before the trial. Nevertheless, Breivik said that he will be interviewed by a foreign TV channel,” said [his lawyer] Lippestad.
According to defense attorney, his client received numerous inquiries from reporters wanting to interview him.
“This is something Ila [prison] must consider,” said Lippestad….
Original article: Breivik vil gi eksklusivt TV-intervju før rettssaken