Another co-judge in Breivik trial forced to step down
The Oslo District Court (Tingrett) decided today that co-judge, Thomas Indrebø, should step down, after it became known yesterday that Indrebø had made strong statements regarding Breivik before being appointed co-judge.
It appears that Indrebø may have an Italian middle (sur)name (Ciccone) that he has not been using when serving as a co-judge in the trial against Anders Behring Breivik.
Using the alias “Thomas Ciccone”, Thomas [Ciccone] Indrebø commented on the Facebook group of VG Nett on July 23 of last year: “Death penalty is the only fair thing in this case!!!!!!!!!!”
Before the trial commenced, another co-judge had to step down after VG revealed that the son of that co-judge was a prominent Labor Youth Organization (AUF) politician.
A reserve co-judge will now take the place of Indrebø.
Yesterday, Breivik objected to the court’s neutrality. He said that the Oslo District Court gets its powers from political parties that support multiculturalism, and that the primary judge, Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen, is a friend of former Justice Minister Hanne Harlem.
The Justice Department was completely destroyed by the 7/22 explosion, and Hanne Harlem is the sister of former Prime Minister and Labor Party leader, Gro Harlem Brundtland.
Google translation [edited for clarity]:
Oslo District Court (VG Nett) Thomas Indrebø (33) is finished as lay judge, because he wrote that the defendant Anders Behring Breivik should be punished with death.
Late last night it became known, via vepsen.no, that one of the lay judges in the 22 July case has taken position on both the question of guilt and punishement reaction in social media. This was new to the court, despite the fact that all the judges in advance were asked specifically about online activity.
It meant that the District Court Judge Wenche Arntzen started rettsdag second with one hour break, so they could make a decision in the unfortunate case.
“His statements are likely to weaken confidence in whether he will consider the question of guilt and punishment sanctions in an unbiased manner,” Arntzen said afterwards.
She pointed out that the fact that such statements was a topic in relation with him being appointed, further weakened the confidence in Indrebø.
“All co-judges have in several meetings been asked whether they have made statements regarding punishment and guilt. That he has not stated this before causes confidence to be weakened further,” Arntzen read from the decision.
The court was unanimous when they decided that Indrebø is disqualified. He did not participate himself in the evaluation.
Both the prosecutors, the defence and plaintiffs’ lawyers agreed that Indrebø had to resign as co-judge when the information about the online activity became known.
The first replacement judge, pensioner Anne Elisabeth Wisløff (71), will take Indrebø’s place. Ole Westerås (46) from Lier will step in as new reserve.
When District Court Judge Wenche Arntzen took up the question of impartiality of the lay judge in court, Breivik smiled. The accused 33-year-old discussed with his defender just after court was adjourned – still with a smile around his mouth….
Original article: Fjernet som medommer etter dødsstraffmelding