Archive for April 15th, 2012
The Norwegian Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by the Norwegian Editors Association of the decision by Oslo District Court (Tingrett) to not allow Breivik’s testimony to be publically broadcast, reports NRK.
According to the Norwegian constitution, citizens have the right to follow trials.
NRK reports that in the trial against Anders Behring Breivik, not a singe person from the general public will be allowed inside the courtroom. One hundred forty (140) members of the public will be permitted to watch a televised broadcast of the proceedings in another room.
Supreme Court rejects media appeal of the District Court’s decision not to allow the transfer of Anders Behring Breivik explanation.
In ruling from the Supreme Court states that the appeal of the Norwegian Press Association and the Norwegian Association for the editor to broadcast Anders Behring Breivik’s testimony in court is rejected.
But the media can transfer directly from the experts’ testimony during the terror trial, it was also decided today….
The confusion around Anders Behring Breivik’s mental health allows as much as possible of the trial should be broadcast, according to the Norwegian press.
Therefore, the editors asked again for permission to send part of the explanation to Breivik on TV and radio.
Previously, the Oslo District Court and Court of Appeal said no to the transfer.
The court believes they can deny broadcast because it will cause an unreasonable burden on families and victims….
Original article: Høyesterett avviser pressens anke
“Like you do in dictatorships”
Per Edgar Kokkvold of the Norwegian Press Association believes it is very important that Anders Behring Breivik explanation on TV. Now the case is heard by the Supreme Court.
The Court of Appeal rejected the 27 March TV transmission of Anders Behring Breivik’s testimony during the trial of terror. But the Association of Norwegian Editors and the Norwegian Press Association has appealed the case to the Supreme Court.
Secretary General of the Norwegian Press Association Per Edgar Kokkvold think it’s important that people get to see Breivik statement. This is especially because the expert report, issued Tuesday concluded that he is sane, contrary to the initial report….
- Not a rule worthy
Criminal Law Professor Alf Peter Hogberg also find it problematic that the explanation will not be televised. He justifies it with the rule of law to the mass murderer.
- The fact that his testimony will not be broadcast if the complete story becomes. It should include broadcast accusations, but you can not hear the defendant himself. It is not a rule of law worthy, that’s how you do in dictatorships. And the decision of this happens at some point the court will not even have a sense of guilt. It creates an imbalance in relation to the defendant, said Hogberg.
- So you think his statement should be broadcast?
- Whether to broadcast the rest, including the charges, then one should probably it. I also mothensyn, to protect those who are victims of this. But do you make a cross with some shows and some TV broadcasts. It is shameful. Either let one be to broadcast or the broadcast everything, he said….
Original article: “Sånn man gjør i diktaturer”
For ten long weeks in the spring of 2012, the world’s attention will be focused on selling 250 in Oslo Courthouse and the trials against accused terrorist Anders Behring Breivik (33)….
Although the press does not have the right to broadcast the entire trial, the main negotiations in the Norwegian courts generally public.
This means that it is still allowed to refer what is said inside the courtroom, even if you can not send audio and video on TV or radio.
Public access in the courts also means that anyone who wants to follow the hearing from the audience is entitled to it on a par with journalists and the victim.
In Breivik issue is the main hall closed to the general public, but it’s set up a separate room on the same floor is reserved for the public.
Magistrate Geir Engebretsen said that the public who wish to follow the case from the courthouse can expect a comprehensive safety check before they are inserted. Due to lack of space also applies the principle of “first come first served.”
There are 140 seats in total, and those who want to follow the trial must obtain passes in the Court of Appeal as the court one day in advance. It is not possible to reserve tickets….
Original article: Slik blir Breivik-rettssaken
Anders Behring Breivik maintains that there exists “a loosely organized network that identifies themselves with ‘the Crusader identity’” in his recent critique of the first psychiatric report which he sent to three Norwegian newspapers (VG, ABC Nyheter and Dagbladet), reports ABC Nyheter. According to ABC Nyheter, Breivik refers to the network as the “KT-Network” in the document.
Dagbladet apparently misunderstood one sentence in Breivik’s letter and reported the opposite of ABC Nyheter: that Breivik wrote that the Knights Templar is fictitious. After many other news organizations had re-reported the story, Dagbladet changed the article (see Google translations below) without notice to readers.
One of Breivik’s lawyers, Tord Jordet, later made it clear to Dagbladet that the sentence Dagbladet based its original story on should not be interepreted as meaning the Knights Templar does not exist. “He stands firm on that the organization exists and that he is connected to a secret network,” Jordet said to Dagbladet.
Breivik’s critique of the first psychiatric report is reportedly thirty-eight pages long. It is not known why the newspapers which received it have chosen to only publish fragmented pieces.
Google translation of ABC Nyheter article [edited for clarity]:
Breivik maintains claims of contact network
In the letter Breivik has sent to VG, Dagbladet and ABC Nyheter from prison, he maintains that there exists a “KT-Network”, that is a “loosely connected network that identifies itself with ‘the Crusader identity’.”
He mentions three persons he shall have met in London in 2002 and “the Serbian” he shall have met in Liberia the same year. In addition, he claims that in the period 2002-2011 he shall have been in contact with two persons who have “all or part of their presence in Norway.”
“My use of the word Commander is a reference that is used in the compendium where I refer to myself as a cell commander. It is used in relation to me being connected with two other individuals/cells in Norway,” claims Breivik.
The question of whether Breivik had accomplices, have been central in the police investigation….
Original article: Breivik fastholder påstandene om kontaktnett
Google translation of original Dagbladet article [edited for clarity]:
For the first time Anders Behring Breivik admints that the secret brotherhood Knights Templar is just fiction.
(Dagbladet): Terror accused Anders Behring Breivik (33) now admits that the secret Knights Templar order he has claimed to be a part of have never existed.
“Does not exist”
This comes forward in a 38-page letter he has sent to three Norwegian media companies, including Dagbladet. The letter is Breivik’s attempt to rebut the court appointed experts’ assessment of him as a paranoid schizophrenic and the legally unaccountable.
In his manifesto, in interrogation and court hearings Breivik has claimed to be part of a larger international network, ready to carry out new terrorist acts.
Now he admit that this is just made up fiction….
Original article: Breivik innrømmer løgn: Brorskapet eksisterer ikke
Google translation of revised Dagbladet article with new headline [edited for clarity]:
“It is thus a NON existing system”
Breivik now admits that the secret brotherhood Knights Templar not is what he claimed it was.
(Dagbladet): Terror accused Anders Behring Breivik (33) now admits that the secret Knights Templar order he has claimed to be a part of has never existed as an established organization.
This comes forward in a 38-page letter he has sent to three Norwegian media companies, including Dagbladet. The letter is Breivik’s attempt to rebutt the court experts’ assessment of him as a paranoid schizophrenic and legally unaccountable.
“Does not exist”
In his manifesto, in questioning and court hearings Breivik claimed to be part of a larger international network, ready to carry out new terrorist acts.
Now he admits that this apparently never has been agreed upon….
Original article: Breivik innrømmer løgn: Brorskapet eksisterer ikke
Google translation of final Dagbladet article [edited for clarity]:
Breivik now says [to Dagbladet] through his lawyer Tord Jordet that this [the sentence Dagbladet based a news story on] should not be perceived as if Knights Templar does not exist:
“He sees that this sentence [in question] can be interpreted in this way. But what he meant [in this sentence] was that it is a proposal for a medal, uniform and title system. He stands firm on that the organization exists and that he is connected to a secret network,” Jordet says to Dagbladet….
Original article: Breivik hevder «hans brorskap» ble misforsått
Anders Behring Breivik has received letters of support and encouragement reports Norwegian newspaper, Verdens Gang (VG). Breivik is held in a high-security section of Ila Prison and all correspondence is read by prison personnel. VG has gained access to copies of some of the letters and has published anonymized excerpts.
One Norwegian citizen currently living in Lithuania wrote: “The Polish guy probably will probably fix a helicopter in the large excercize enclosure in a couple of years when things have calmed down and Brazil for you!” The writer also states that he met Breivik in a pub in Oslo in 2002.
Another letter Breivik received over Christmas contained only six blank pages numbered with Roman numerals one to six (I-VI).
VG also writes that Breivik has reportedly received two undated letters from a pseudonymous author calling himself “The Architect”:
“Hi Anders! Thank you for a well conducted operation, but it is of course sad that you are where you are now. The whole group greets you and thank you for the strike against the communist rule”. The letter also contained a brief note to the police: “Letter and envelope are free from fingerprints and DNA. We are not stupid.”
From the second letter:
“Hi Anders. Here is a small greeting from the group. Both you and we know you are not psychotic, but a fully aware person that sacrified yourself for the cause. We will always stand by you and you shall not lack anything.”
At the bottom of the page is written: “With Norwegian combat greeting. The Architect.”
Google translation [edited for clarity]:
Encouraged Breivik with escape plan
In two other undated letters from a group calling itself “The Architect” Breivik is praised for the terror attacks on 22 July:
“Hi Anders! Thanks for the well conducted operation, but it is of course sad that you are where you are now. The whole group greets you and thank you for the strike against the communist rule”, the sender writes.
In addition, it is claimed that the mass murderer will never be lacking anything.
The stamp shall have been from Norway, but was unreadable. The sender shall have taken care [not] leaving fingerprints and DNA, something the person also made the police aware of. “Letter and envelope are free of fingerprints and DNA. We are not stupid.”
In the second letter from the unknown group there was only one A4 sheet.
“Hi Anders. Here is a small greeeting from the group. Both you and we know that you are not psychotic, but a fully aware person who sacrificed yourself for the cause. We will always stand with you and you shall not be lacking anything.”
At the bottom of the page it says.
“With Norwegian combat greeting. The Architect.”…
Original article: Oppmuntret Breivik med rømningsplan
NRK reports that CNN has cancelled plans to interview Anders Behring Breivik. “I can now confirm that CNN is no longer working on getting an interview with Anders Behring Breivik,” CNN press spokesman, Jonathan Hawkins, reportedly wrote in an email to NRK.
NRK writes that Breivik said yes to an interview request from CNN and that it is unclear why the interview plans are now cancelled. The last time Breivik agreed to an interview with the British broadcaster, BBC, the Justice Department blocked the interview.
[Note: NRK has edited the title of one of the below articles, and the text of the other. The Google translations are from the original versions.]
CNN will not be interviewed Breivik
Thursday was NRK.no an email in which television channel denied that they will interview the terrorist.
“I can confirm that CNN is no longer working to get an interview with Anders Breivik Behring,” writes spokesman Jonathan Hawkins of CNN International to NRK in an e-mail.
It is still unclear why the TV channel has pulled out of a possible interview….
Original article: CNN vil ikke intervjue Breivik
CNN negotiates about interview with Breivik
It is not yet given the final green light if and when the interview can take place. TV channel awaiting for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation has learned that the police will do a background check of a photographer.
“At this point, I can not confirm that we will interview Anders Breivik Behring. We do not comment on speculation about how we will cover the trial, but I can confirm that we, like many other news organizations, has requested an interview with him,” said Jonathan Hawkins, a spokesman at CNN International to NRK….
Original article: CNN forhandler om intervju med Breivik